Thursday, January 29, 2009

Did Abraham Lincoln "share the wealth?"

I am in the middle of reading a great book and it made me think about when I had heard that the media compared Obama to Abe Lincoln, I personally have a hard time believeing that and I will share with you why.

I was reading through a book of quotes and I came across this quote where Lincoln states:

"Property is the fruit of labor. Property is desirable, is a positive good in the world.
That some should be rich shows that others may become rich and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently to build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence... I take it that it is best for all to leave each man free to aquire property as fast as he can. Some will get wealthy. I don't believe in a law to prevent a man from getting rich; it would do more harm than good." ( The freeman: Ideas of Liberty, May 1955, pg 7)

He further states:

"To the citizens of this great nation:You Cannot bring prosperity by discouraging thrift,You cannot strengthen the weak by taxing the strong,You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer,You cannot further brotherhood of man by encouraging class hatred,You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn,You cannot build charactor if you take away initiative and independence,You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves!''

Is this an "ideology" that both men share? Hardly, as a matter of fact, I remember quite clearly , as I am sure you do as well, Obamas answer to Joe the Plumber about "Spreading the wealth around."

It has been apparent to me for many years now how ignorant we have become about history, because it IS being re-written. As a child I hated history, I took our country for granted for so many years not undersdtanding the importance and it is clear to me that there are so many others that felt the way I did.

History playes a more important role than anyone ever imagined, the fact that we can make comparisons without any facts to back it up is ludicrous and will ultimitley mean the destruction of our country as we have known it.

Please take the time to become educated, as you do, I am certain you will feel as "duped" as I have unless you happen to be one who believes in anti-american sentiments, disrespecting those who gave their lives in sacrifice for your freedoms and would jump at the opportunity to desecrate every piece of evidence of what made this country great.

If Ignorance is bliss...enjoy it!

No comments: