Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Evangelical Christian enters in Boise Pride parade

As some of you may have read, there was an article in today's Idaho Statesman: http://www.idahostatesman.com/localnews/story/805040.html
titled the above, however the story written, I believe did not convey the message quite like I hoped it would so I would like to take a moment to explain my intent.

If you have read some of my other posts you will find out that I had befriended a homosexual in January and we are still friends today. Over months of communication we have become friends despite our difference in worldviews and have a mutual respect for eachother.

The idea to enter the pride parade came after my friendship with this individual and while I had spent months reading about this so-called "Culture war" or battle of worldviews and the instances of hatred.

More is written in previous posts about this but because of my friendship with this homosexual I wanted to find out for myself if the Christians and the homosexuals DO hate eachother or whether this is just another instance of media spin.

I have also read articles about so-called Christians protesting these events carrying hateful messages, while on the other side their are Christian churches who agree with the gay lifestyle. both of which I feel,in my opinion, are innaccurate.

My intent is to attend this event with a smile on my face, with love in my heart, to pass out bottled water and cards with church information NOT to point fingers at anyone. This is more about what we are "for" rather than what we are "against."

I want to share a message of hope and change through the gospel of Jesus Christ through these water bottles and the cards, I want to be a messenger through this simple outreach.

The message of Christianity appears to be misunderstood. The gospel is a message of love not hate. If this message is confused I can only wonder why.Is it that there is little or no outreach from the church community or Is it because those who call themselves Christians are sharing hateful messages? The answer to this question to me is still a mystery but I am willing to attend this parade to find out for myself.

In response to Sen. Le Favour's comment in the above article, I would like to say that this is not about denying them a place and a day to celebrate nor to make them feel unsafe. Christianity is not to create devisiveness, or to make people feel unsafe but bring people to a place of ultimate safety with love in our hearts and a smile on our face.

No comments: